Michael A. Branca
Michael A. Branca is co-managing partner of Peckar & Abramson’s Washington, D.C. office and serves on the firm’s Executive Committee. He focuses his practice on construction and government contract law. Mike routinely represents general and prime contractors, construction managers, and other members of the construction and government contract industries. Given his depth of experience, he is able to provide an impressive range of services to his clients, including the review and negotiation of contract documents, prosecution of bid protests, project counsel support and guidance, and the preparation and litigation of claims.
"Working with clients to solve complex problems is the most satisfying part of serving the construction and government contract industries."
• Commonwealth of Virginia
• District of Columbia
• United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
• United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
• United States District Court for the District of Columbia
• United States District Court for the District of Maryland
• United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
• United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
• United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
• United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuits
• United States Court of Federal Claims
• American Bar Association (Forum on Construction Law)
• Virginia State Bar (Board of Governors, Construction and Public Contract Law Section)
• American Road and Transportation Builders Association
• Washington Building Congress
• Association of General Contractors (Virginia Chapter)
Education & Courses
• University of Virginia, B.A
• Antonin Scalia Law School at George Mason University, J.D, with distinction
Awards & Recognitions
• Chambers USA, Construction Law, Washington, DC, 2008 - 2022
• The Legal 500: United States, “Leading Lawyer,” 2021 - 2022
• Who’s Who Legal: Construction, 2013 - 2022
• Who’s Who Legal - Thought Leader: Construction, 2022
• Washington, DC Super Lawyers, 2010, 2013 - 2022
• Washington, DC Super Lawyers, Top-100 Attorneys, 2021
• Best Lawyers, 2018 - 2023
• Fellow, American College of Construction Lawyers, Inducted 2019
• BTI Consulting Group, Inc. Client Service All-Star, 2016
Publications & Presentations
• “Navigating the Impact and Negotiating for the Future – Labor and Material Escalation,” Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) of Metro Washington Presentation (presenter), August 2022
• “Killer Contract Clauses,” Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) of Metro Washington Presentation (presenter), April 2022.
• “Federal Government Contracting: Year in Review,” P&A Webinar (moderator), January 2021.
• AGC Federal Contractors Conference, (speaker) June 2020.
• “Presenting and Proving Delay and Disruption Claims,” 4th Annual Federal Government Contracting Seminar 2019: Government Contracts Trial Practice Tune-Up (panelist), September 2019.
• “Managing Subcontractors on Federal Contract Delay Claims,” 2018 Construction Superconference (presenter), December 2018.
• Federal Government Construction Contracts, third edition, American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry (author and lead editor), 2017.
• “Public Contracting Under The Trump Administration,” P&A Peer Conference (speaker), April 2017.
• “The 2017 Regulatory Road Ahead: What Construction Contractors Need to Know,” P&A and AGC Joint Seminar (presenter), January 2017.
• Virginia Construction Law, Thomson West (co-author), 2008.
News & Events
• Nine Peckar & Abramson Attorneys Named 2022 Thought Leaders in Who’s Who Legal
• The Legal 500 U.S. 2022 Guide Names Peckar & Abramson a Top Tier Firm in Construction Law and Recognizes 14 Attorneys
• Peckar & Abramson Has Largest Number of Construction Lawyers Recognized by Best Lawyers®
• ABC Metro Washington – “Navigating the Impact and Negotiating for the Future – Labor and Material Escalation”