Jennifer Harris is senior counsel in Peckar & Abramson’s Washington, D.C. office. Her primary areas of practice are construction and government contracts law, complex commercial litigation, and real estate law.
P +1 202.293.8815
F +1 202.293.7994
Collaboration, leadership, and sound business practices are key to the success of any construction project, which presents a fascinating set of challenges regardless of your role in the industry.
Jennifer’s construction experience includes representation of general contractors and subcontractors in matters involving claims for nonpayment, mechanic’s liens, wage and hour claims, design defects, and delay and disruption claims, as well as the representation of clients in the investigation and defense of payment and performance bond claims and indemnity actions. Jennifer also represents individuals, entities, and condominium associations in real estate transactions, land-use litigation, latent defect cases, and contract disputes.
Over the course of her career, Jennifer has counseled her clients in arbitrations and mediations, as well as in all stages of state and federal litigation, including jury trials and appeals.
Prior to joining Peckar & Abramson, Jennifer was a litigation attorney in Baltimore, Maryland. Jennifer also clerked for the Honorable Mickey J. Norman in the Third Judicial Circuit of Maryland.
Jennifer holds a J.D. from the University of Baltimore School of Law, where she graduated summa cum laude and was a member of the Heuisler Honor Society. During law school, Jennifer was on the Executive Board of the University of Baltimore Law Review, competed on the National Labor Law Moot Court Team, and served as a Rule 16 Attorney for the Civil Advocacy Clinic. Jennifer also completed externships with the U.S. Department of Labor – OSHA and the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Jennifer is admitted to practice in Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia.
• State of Maryland
• Commonwealth of Virginia
• District of Columbia
• United States District Court for the District of Maryland
• United States District Court for the District of Columbia
• Washington Building Congress
• Associated Builders and Contractors Metro Washington, Women Building Washington Committee - Chair, 2023-2024
• ACE Mentor Program, Greater Washington-Metro Chapter
• Trash Free Maryland, Pro Bono Non-Profit Advisory Counsel - 2018
• Business Volunteers of Maryland - GIVE Program Fellow - 2018
• University of Baltimore School of Law Peer Mentorship Program - 2018
• University of Baltimore Alumnae Council – 2017, 2018
Education & Courses
• University of Maryland at College Park, B.A.
• University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
Awards & Recognitions
• Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch,” 2022-2023
• Washington, DC Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2019, 2022-2023
• Heuisler Honor Society, University of Baltimore School of Law
Publications & Presentations
• “New Certification Requirements for Veteran-Owned Small Business Concerns and Service Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business Concerns Seeking Public Procurement Contracts,” P&A Client Alert, January 2023 (co-author)
• “Strategic Partnerships: How to Build Industry Relationships,” Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) of Metro Washington – Women Building Washington, March 2023 (moderator)
• “Recent Federal Contracting Developments: New Veteran-Owned Small Business Certification Requirements, Joint Venture Regulations and Inflation Relief,” National Association of Surety Bond Producers, February 2023 (co-presenter)
• “Contract Administration,” 2022 Regional ABA Meeting Forum on Construction Law, December 2022 (presenter)
• “Women Building Washington Presents: Mentorship in Construction - Why It Matters,” Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) of Metro Washington Presentation, October 2022 (presenter)
• “Navigating the Impact and Negotiating for the Future – Labor and Material Escalation,” Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) of Metro Washington Presentation, August 2022 (presenter)
• “DoD Issues Guidance on Inflation Adjustments for Contractors,” Peckar & Abramson Government Contracts Blog, June 2022 (co-author)
• “The Realities and Implications of Diversity and Inclusion in Construction Law: The Impact of Implicit Bias,” Groundbreaking Women in Construction (GWIC), May 2022 (co-presenter)
• “How to Prepare a Claim that Will Maximize Your Recovery and Maximize Your Costs and Recovery Time,” Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) of Metro Washington seminar, May 2022 (co-presenter)
• “Killer Contract Clauses,” Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) of Metro Washington presentation, April 2022 (co-presenter)
• “Time to ‘Construct’ New Social Media Policies,” ConsensusDocs Newsletter, March 2022 (Co-Author)
• “Virtual Mediation – How Do I Make it Work for Me?” ConsensusDocs, December 2020 (co-author)
• “Government Limits Adequate Price Competition Exception to the Requirement to Submit Certified Cost or Pricing Data,” Peckar & Abramson GovConLaw Blog, July 2019 (author)
• “Collections: Statute of Limitations on Service Contracts and Commercial Leases,” June 2018 (author)
• “’Technically Speaking’—the Do’s and Don’ts of the New Maryland Electronic Filing Rules,” October 2017 (author)
• “Maryland’s Reasonable Accommodations for Disabilities due to Pregnancy Act: Meaning, Interpretation, and Implications,” 44 U. Balt. L. Rev. (Sept. 29, 2014) (author)
News & Events
• Super Lawyers® Names Four Peckar & Abramson Attorneys to 2023 Washington, DC Super Lawyers & Rising Stars Lists
• Groundbreaking Women in Construction Conference – “Building and Fostering Relationships in the Construction Industry”
• Peckar & Abramson Attorney Jennifer L. Harris Named Chair of ABC Metro-Washington’s Women Building Washington Committee
• ABC Metro Washington – “Strategic Partnerships: How to Build Industry Relationships”