Gary M. Stein
Gary M. Stein is co-managing partner of Peckar & Abramson’s Miami office and serves on the firm’s Executive Committee. He also currently serves as general counsel for the South Florida Chapter of the Associated General Contractors of America (South Florida AGC).
Gary M. Stein
Co-Managing Partner, Miami Office
P +1 305.358.2600
F +1 305.375.0328
"As construction contracts and forms of engagement continue to evolve, it is essential that parties call upon experienced counsel who can navigate your business through various risk profiles."
Gary’s primary area of practice is construction law and he is certified by the Florida Bar as a Construction Law Specialist. His practice includes the representation of general contractors, construction managers, subcontractors, owner/developers and other construction professionals in the litigation, arbitration and mediation of construction and design defect claims, contract claims, construction lien claims, delay- and-impact claims, surety bond claims, insurance claims and related matters on low-rise, mid-rise and high-rise residential, commercial and municipal projects. His practice also includes the representation of civil infrastructure contractors on claims involving tunnels, bridges, roads and highways and energy infrastructure contractors on claims involving power plants, including nuclear power plants. Gary is also highly experienced in the negotiation and preparation of construction documents, as well as project administration assistance during construction for the early identification and resolution of conflicts and disputes.
Gary has represented clients in litigation and arbitration involving delays, liens, bonds, wrongful termination, differing site conditions and construction defects involving foundations, reinforced and post-tension concrete construction, masonry, roofing, drywall assemblies, stucco, EIFS systems, curtain wall systems, railings, paint, mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, fire sprinkler systems, drilled shafts and many other building systems and components in both domestic and international cases.
As lead counsel, Gary has successfully handled jury and non-jury trials, arbitrations and appeals.
He has served as an arbitrator through the American Arbitration Association since 1989 and as a mediator in many large complex construction and commercial disputes.
Gary’s general litigation practice includes real estate, contract and business-related disputes.
Gary teaches a course on legal issues in construction for the Masters of Construction Management Program at the University of Miami’s School of Architecture. He has authored numerous articles on various construction-related topics for Southeast Construction, the American Bar Association, the American Arbitration Association and others. Gary has also conducted seminars on various construction law topics for the National Business Institute, Lorman Educational Services, the Florida Construction Law Institute and the Miami-Dade County Bar Association.
• State of Florida
• United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
• United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
• Associated General Contractors of America
• Construction Association of South Florida
• American Bar Association (Forum on the Construction Industry and Litigation Section)
• American Trial Lawyers Association
• Miami-Dade County Bar Association
Education & Courses
• University of Florida, B.A.
• University of Miami School of Law, J.D.
Awards & Recognitions
• Chambers USA, Construction Law, Florida, 2017-2022
• Best Lawyers, 2006-2023
• Best Lawyers, “Lawyer of the Year” in Construction Law – Miami region, 2013
• Florida Super Lawyers, 2009-2022
• Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
• Who’s Who Legal - Thought Leader: Construction, 2022
• Who’s Who Legal: Construction, 2021-2022
• Florida Bar Board Certified Construction Law Specialist
• South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyer
Publications & Presentations
• “Suretyship: FS 255.05, Miller Act, and Other Bonds,” Florida Bar’s Construction Law Institute (presenter), March 2022
• “Failure to Properly Consider Damages Could Be Catastrophic for Your Claim” Construction Super Conference (presenter), December 2021
• “Effectively Preventing Construction Disputes,” South Florida AGC‘s Young Constructors Forum (presenter), June 2021
• “How to Effectively Prevent Construction Disputes: Practical Tips and Strategies Explored,” The Knowledge Group Webinar (presenter), March 2021
• “COVID-19 Discussion: The Present and Future for the Construction Community,” South Florida AGC (presenter), July 2020
• “COVID-19 Site Safety Protocols and Revised OSHA Enforcement Guidance,” South Florida AGC (moderator), June 2020
• “Structuring your Settlements in Multi-Party Litigation,” Construction Law Institute 2020, March 2020
• “Construction Risk Management: Current Issues and Pitfalls Explored!,” The Knowledge Group Webinar (speaker), September 2019
• “Extension of Time (EOT) Claims – Separating Fairy Tales from Facts.” 2019 American Arbitration Association Construction Conference: Techniques for Managing the Growing Complexities of Construction Disputes (panelist), April 2019
• “Suretyship: FS 255.05, Miller Act, and Other Bonds,” Construction Law Certification Review Course (speaker), March 2019
• “Resolving Construction Disputes Through Mediation: A Comprehensive Guide,” The Knowledge Group Live Webcast (panelist), December 2018
• “Making Your Partnership Work: Joint Ventures in Construction,” Great American Insurance Group Conference (speaker), November 2016
News & Events
• Advanced Construction Law Certification Review – “Suretyship: FS 255.05, Miller Act, and Other Bonds”
• Peckar & Abramson Announces New Executive Committee Members
• 12 Peckar & Abramson Attorneys Recognized in Who’s Who Legal Thought Leaders: USA Publication
• Nine Peckar & Abramson Attorneys Named 2022 Thought Leaders in Who’s Who Legal