Christopher B. Kinzel
Christopher B. Kinzel is a partner in the firm’s New York office. Highly experienced in construction law, Chris focuses his practice on representing construction managers and general contractors in commercial litigation, transactional matters, and providing practical advice and workable commercial strategies for addressing existing problems and avoiding or mitigating new problems going forward.
Christopher B. Kinzel
New York, NY
P +1 212.382.0909
F +1 212.382.3456
"If you do not know or understand how your client's business actually operates, you cannot hope to give them meaningful guidance. We are obsessed with delivering unparalleled legal counsel in every aspect of the construction industry –and that begins and ends with our deep understanding and genuine appreciation of our clients' profession."
Chris regularly represents clients in mediation, arbitration and at the trial and appellate levels, involving complex multi-million dollar construction disputes including breach of contract, delay claims, default and termination, nonconforming/incomplete work, payment related claims, mechanic’s liens, and other commercial claims.
On the transactional side, Chris has drafted and negotiated a wide range of construction management agreements, contract documents, subcontracts, close-out agreements, modifications, change orders, contract notices, claim letters, waivers and releases, leases and other commercial contracts with Fortune 500 companies on numerous large-scale construction projects. Chris also has extensive working knowledge of insurance coverage issues, particularly those that concern the construction industry.
Chris also regularly conducts training seminars for clients and is frequently called upon to provide clients with real-time guidance on how best to handle various issues and situations that arise in the field. Prior to joining Peckar & Abramson, Chris served as general counsel and vice president of business development for a prominent, full-service construction company in New York City. This firsthand experience has endowed him with a comprehensive understanding of the diverse challenges and considerations that his clients must negotiate and balance on a daily basis.
• State of New York
• U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
• U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
• U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York
Education & Courses
• New York Law School, J.D.
• Franklin & Marshall College, B.A.
Awards & Recognitions
• Martindale- Hubbell, AV Preeminent Rated, 2013-2022
• American Lawyer Media & Martindale-Hubbell, “New York’s Top Rated Lawyers”, 2019-2020
• New York Super Lawyers “Rising Star”, 2013, 2016-2017
Publications & Presentations
• “New York Establishes a Registration Requirement for Contractors and Subcontractors Performing Public Works and Covered Private Projects,” P&A Client Alert, January 2023 (Co-Author)
• “Construction Industry Law,” Columbia University Graduate School of Civil Engineering- Invited Guest Lecturer, Spring 2023
• “Understanding Carlos’ Law,” ABC Empire State Webinar, August 2022
• "Liquidated Damages: Six Points Contractors Should Understand" Construction Executive, October 2021
• "Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Guidance For Contractors," P&A Client Alert, March 2020
• "New York Appellate Court Weighs in on Notice of Claim Requirements," The Association of General Contractors of America - AGC Law in Brief, Vol. 1, No. 5, November, 2015
• "Dueling Appellate Departments: Differing Interpretations of Prompt Payment Act," ConcensusDocs -Construction Law Newsletter, Vol. 1, Issue 4, August, 2015
News & Events
• American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell Name 18 Peckar & Abramson Attorneys “New York’s Top-Rated Lawyers”
• Peckar & Abramson, P.C. Welcomes Levi Barrett, Denis Ducran, and Christopher Kinzel as Partners; Announces Additional Promotions to Senior Counsel and Senior Associate Ranks
• American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell Name 15 Peckar & Abramson Attorneys “New York’s Top-Rated Lawyers”
• Peckar & Abramson’s New York Office Moves To A New Location