Peckar & Abramson, P.C. Senior Counsel Michael Schewe will present a lunch and learn on major changes to the H-1B lottery system. The event will take place at the firm’s River Edge, NJ office and will also be available via live webinar.
USCIS announced on December 6, 2019, that it will implement its new online registration process for H-1B cap-subject petitions for fiscal year 2021 (“FY2021”). As opposed to previous years when H-1B petitions needed to be finalized prior to the April 1st filing window, the new system allows for registration during March with full petitions to be submitted only if selected in the registration lottery. This major overhaul raises a number of important questions that will be discussed during the presentation:
• When is the registration period and what should employers be doing before registration opens?
• What information is needed to register (i.e., enter the lottery)?
• How much analysis regarding “specialty occupation” eligibility and the employee’s qualifications to perform the job needs to be done before registration?
• How could the new changes affect the volume of petitions that are filed?
• If selected, how much time will be allowed to prepare the finalized H-1B petition?
• How should employers prepare for the expressly-reserved contingency where USCIS cancels the registration process and reverts to the old system?
• How will the timing affect employees who need to avail themselves of cap-gap protection?
• How should the attorney-client engagement be changed to accommodate the new procedures?
Please RSVP here or contact Megan Seybuck at MSeybuck@pecklaw.com or 201-343-3434.
Major Changes to the H-1B Lottery Systems for FY2021 Invitation
This course is suitable for both newly admitted and experienced attorneys. Attendees will earn 1 NY Professional Practice, 1 CA and/or 1.2 NJ General CLE credit(s). Applications for FL, TX and VA accreditation are pending.