Robert S. Peckar
Robert S. Peckar is a founding partner of Peckar & Abramson. Bob has devoted his career to serving the construction industry and bar. For decades, he has represented contractors throughout the United States and the world, gaining a widespread reputation for his legal acumen, his energetic representation and his creative approach to solving contractors’ most challenging problems. In that regard, he was among the pioneers of creative dispute avoidance and dispute resolution techniques in the construction industry. Bob is currently continuing that service to the firm’s clients, but also bringing expertise to clients around the globe in regard to corporate integrity programs and anticorruption issues (with particular emphasis on the United States Foreign Corrupt Practices Act).
Robert S. Peckar
New York, NY
P +1 212.382.0909
F +1 212.382.3456
"As the construction industry continues to adapt to increasing regulations and contractual constraints across the globe, our attorneys consistently adapt to these changes and remain at the forefront of industry trends."
Bob’s unique level of service to the construction industry is exemplified by his tenure over many years as general counsel to the New York Building Congress (currently general counsel emeritus), the Building Trades Employers’ Association of New York, the Building Contractors Association of New Jersey and the national Construction Financial Management Association. In addition, he has contributed his efforts to educational programs for the Associated General Contractors of America, the American Arbitration Association and many other organizations throughout the United States.
Service to the construction bar has also been an important element of Bob’s dedication to the betterment of the construction industry. He has been an active member of the construction-related sections of the American Bar Association (ABA), and has presented papers and programs at bar association events in the United States and abroad throughout his career. He is a Fellow of the American College of Construction Lawyers, where he has chaired its ADR and International Law Committee.
Bob has authored many articles on construction law topics and dispute resolution in the industry, is a contributing author in several construction law textbooks and is the author of New Jersey Practice: Construction Law. He also serves as the Editor of Getting the Deal Through – Construction, an international survey of construction and construction law topics published by Law Business Research in coordination with the International Bar Association and the ABA Section of International Law.
Bob has been widely recognized as one of the leading construction lawyers for many years. For seven successive years, he was awarded the distinction as the Leading Construction Lawyer in the World by the International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers. In 2021, The Legal 500: United States named Bob to the “Hall of Fame” and in 2020 he was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award by the New Jersey Law Journal.
Bob is admitted to practice in the State of New Jersey, the State of New York, the United States Supreme Court, the United States Courts of Appeals for the Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Circuits, the United States Court of Federal Claims and the United States District Court for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York and the District of New Jersey. Bob received his bachelor of arts degree from Rutgers University and his law degree from Columbia Law School.
• State of New Jersey
• State of New York
• United States Supreme Court
• United States Courts of Appeals for the Third Circuit
• United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
• United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
• United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
• United States Court of Federal Claims
• United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
• United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
• United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
• Associated General Contractors of America
• Building Trades Employers Association of New York
• Building Contractors Association of New Jersey
• Construction Management Association of America
• American Road and Transportation Builders Association
• American College of Construction Lawyers (Fellow)
• American Bar Association (Construction Industry Forum)
• International Bar Association
Education & Courses
• Rutgers University, B.A.
• Columbia Law School, J.D.
Awards & Recognitions
• Chambers USA, Construction Law, New York, 2017-2023
• Chambers USA, Construction Law, Nationwide, 2017-2022
• ALM & Martindale-Hubbell “New York Top-Rated Lawyers”, 2019-2020
• The Legal 500: United States - "Hall of Fame," 2021-2022
• The Legal 500: United States
• Who’s Who Legal: Business, Leading Construction Lawyer in the World
• Who’s Who Legal - Thought Leader: Construction, 2022
• Who’s Who Legal: Construction, Senior Statespeople, 2021-2022
• Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
• Best Lawyers, 2003-2023
• Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” in Construction Law-New York City, 2014
• Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” in Litigation-Construction Law-New York City, 2021
• New York-Metro Super Lawyers, 2006-2022
• New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2005-2023
• New Jersey Law Journal Lifetime Achievement Award, 2020
• Women Builders Council "We for She Inspiration Award", 2021
News & Events
• Chambers USA Names Peckar & Abramson to Band 1 Level in Construction Law; 28 P&A Lawyers Recognized as Leading Attorneys; Six Regions and Government Contracts Practice Recognized
• Super Lawyers® Names 12 Peckar & Abramson Attorneys to 2023 New Jersey Super Lawyers & Rising Stars Lists
• Peckar & Abramson Announces New Executive Committee Members
• 12 Peckar & Abramson Attorneys Recognized in Who’s Who Legal Thought Leaders: USA Publication