Denis Serkin is a partner in Peckar & Abramson’s New York and New Jersey offices who focuses the majority of his practice on construction law. He represents construction managers and general contractors in transactional matters, through project construction, and in the resolution of disputes through litigation, arbitration, and mediation. He is chair of the firm’s International Practice.
Chair - International Practice
New York, NY
P +1 212.382.0909
F +1 212.382.3456
River Edge, NJ
P +1 201.343.3434
F +1 201.343.6306
"As clients expand their capabilities abroad, P&A is uniquely poised to provide effective and successful management of international construction disputes. We understand that the key to solving any such dispute requires a thorough understanding of the contract, the prevailing laws, and the unique cultural issues at play."
Denis regularly assists clients in a number of market segments, including construction management, general and EPC contracting, power/energy, and infrastructure, and is highly experienced in the areas of construction defect, delay and disruption claims, change-order and extra work claims, mechanics’ liens, and public bidding challenges. He is also a highly sought-after contracts attorney, helping clients draft and negotiate construction agreements that utilize both custom and industry standard forms.
Denis’s experience includes the representation of clients across the United States and internationally, and routinely assists clients with compliance issues—particularly those regarding the United States Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). In 2021, he completed FIDIC Certified Course Module 2: Claims and Disputes Resolution.
Prior to entering the legal profession, Denis was a project engineer at a major New Jersey government agency, where he managed numerous projects through design to procurement and construction. Denis is an Adjunct Associate Professor at Columbia University in the Department of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics where he teaches a course in Prevention and Resolution of Construction Disputes. Previously, Denis was an Adjunct Professor at the New Jersey Institute of Technology, where he taught a course on the legal aspects of various types of construction contracts and specifications.
Denis has been named to the New York-Metro Super Lawyers list from 2019 to 2022, the New York-Metro Super Lawyers Rising Stars list from 2011 to 2018, the New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars list from 2008 to 2018 and the New Jersey Super Lawyers list from 2021 to 2023. He was also selected as one of Legal 500’s 2022 Recommended Lawyers, a 2016 Top Construction Lawyer and one of the “New York Top-Rated Lawyers” in 2019 by ALM & Martindale-Hubbell.
• State of New York
• State of New Jersey
• United States District Court for the Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York
• United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
• United States Patent and Trademark Office
• International Bar Association
• American Bar Association (Construction Industry Forum and Litigation Section)
• New York State Bar Association
• New Jersey State Bar Association
• New York County Bar Association
Education & Courses
• Stevens Institute of Technology, B.S.
• Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
• FIDIC Module 2: Claims and Disputes Resolution
Awards & Recognitions
• The Legal 500: United States, “Recommended Lawyer,” 2022
• Best Lawyers, 2023
• Who's Who Legal, Future Leaders - Partners, 2022
• New York-Metro Super Lawyers, 2019-2022
• New York-Metro Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2011-2018
• New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2021-2023
• New Jersey Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2008-2018
• ALM & Martindale-Hubbell "New York Top-Rated Lawyers", 2019-2020
• The Legal 500, Top Construction Lawyers List, 2016
Publications & Presentations
• “Commencing a Lawsuit: Evaluating Whether to File Suit (NJ),” Practical Guidance® Practice Note, May 2022 (co-author)
• “Design Build: General Considerations When Using Design Build: Part 2,” ACCNJ, October 2021 (co-presenter)
• “Design Build Construction Services Procurement Act: Part 1,” ACCNJ, October 2021 (co-presenter)
• “Understanding the Risks of International Construction,” Construction Executive, April 2021 (Co-Author)
• “Construction Disputes Series: Session 1 - Tackling Subcontractor Disputes,” Peckar & Abramson Webinar, September 2020 (Speaker).
• “Dispute Resolution in Construction Projects,” The Projects and Construction Review 4th – 10th Editions, 2014-2020 (Co-Author)
• “The United States Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the International Construction Industry”, Obras Magazine – May 2013 (Co-Author)
• “Significant Change to Contractors’ Registration Act for Home Improvement Contractors”, Peckar & Abramson Newsletter, October 2013
News & Events
• Super Lawyers® Names 12 Peckar & Abramson Attorneys to 2023 New Jersey Super Lawyers & Rising Stars Lists
• Super Lawyers® Names 18 Peckar & Abramson Attorneys to 2022 New York List; Paul Monte Selected to Top 100 List
• The Legal 500 U.S. 2022 Guide Names Peckar & Abramson a Top Tier Firm in Construction Law and Recognizes 14 Attorneys
• Peckar & Abramson Has Largest Number of Construction Lawyers Recognized by Best Lawyers®