Alan Winkler has been practicing law for over 25 years, with more than twenty years of experience in construction law. He has handled cases covering virtually every type of construction project, including tunnels, roadways, bridges, industrial facilities, power plants, schools, and high-rise buildings.
River Edge, NJ
P +1 201.343.3434
F +1 201.343.6306
"When litigation proves necessary, our clients can rely on our team of highly experienced litigators to vigorously represent their interests."
While Alan strives to resolve disputes out of court through direct negotiations or mediations, he has tried a number of cases in the courts and in arbitrations. He has also written briefs for, and argued, a number of appeals. His work has resulted in several published decisions in construction cases. Besides litigating disputes, Alan has an active practice in preparing and negotiating construction contracts and subcontracts, and in counseling clients on issues arising while the work is ongoing.
Prior to representing contractors and private owners in construction matters, Alan was with the New York City Law Corporation Counsel’s Office, where he was an assistant chief of the Commercial Litigation Division. Among the cases he handled for the City of New York was the defense of a multimillion-dollar changed conditions claim on the construction of the Second Avenue Subway.
Alan has written articles on construction law, in both regional and national publications, and has lectured on the subject. He has long held Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating of Preeminent AV.
Alan is admitted to practice in New York, New Jersey, the United States District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and for the District of New Jersey, as well as the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. He is a graduate of George Washington University and Fordham Law School.
• State of New York
• State of New Jersey
• United States District Court for the Southern District
• United States District Court for the Eastern District
• United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Education & Courses
• George Washington University, B.A.
• Fordham Law School, J.D.
Awards & Recognitions
• Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
• ALM & Martindale-Hubbell "New York Top-Rated Lawyers", 2019 - 2020
Publications & Presentations
• “Mitigating the Consequences of Labor Unrest on Construction Projects,” ConsensusDocs, February 2023 (Co-Author)
• American Bar Association Construction Law Textbook, 1st Ed., Chapter 16, 2009 (Author)
News & Events
• American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell Name 18 Peckar & Abramson Attorneys “New York’s Top-Rated Lawyers”
• American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell Name 15 Peckar & Abramson Attorneys “New York’s Top-Rated Lawyers”
• Alan Winkler Authored Article in AGC of America ConsensusDocs Construction Law Newsletter