In recognition of the depth of our Employment Law and Practices Group in insurance defense, numerous carriers have endorsed Peckar & Abramson as their select panel counsel to defend professional liability claims. Our clients often insist to their insurance providers that P&A is preselected to serve as their defense counsel.
Because we work closely with underwriters, adjusters, carrier representatives, risk managers, consultants, brokers and insureds, we are able to deliver effective claims management and risk control services to address claims quickly and cost effectively. Our experience with this diverse clientele allows us to see every dispute with a 360-degree perspective.
We focus on the early evaluation of claims, and aggressively obtain mitigation information in order to swiftly and effectively assess liability. This allows us to develop strategies to make Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) procedures more effective and drive down the cost of traditional litigation.
Insurance carriers also call upon the skill of our Employment Law and Practices Group for mediation, arbitration and litigation in order to monitor outside counsel on a national level. We help ensure that claims are being pursued efficiently and cost-effectively. We also keep carriers apprised as to the status of claims and ensure that legal billing and reporting guidelines are being met.
Our Employment Law and Practices Group draws upon its significant experience in offering both insureds and non-insureds comprehensive employment practice audits focusing on ways to minimize the risk of employment-related lawsuits; reduce employment-related costs; and improve productivity, efficiency, morale and retention. These legal compliance and litigation avoidance practices include strategic, preventative compliance advice to in-house counsel, human resources professionals and senior management.
Restrictive covenants, non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, and the pursuit and protection of confidential information are vital to any business. Litigation concerning misappropriation of trade secrets and proprietary information makes up a large percentage of the lawsuits being filed in both state and federal courts.
Legal Compliance and Audits
Peckar & Abramson provides legal compliance and counseling services to clients on such employment issues as:
- State, federal and local EEO laws
- Class action and multi-employer wage and hour laws
- Employee Retirement Insurance Act (ERISA)
- State and federal posting requirements for anti-discriminatory harassment, minimum wages, child labor laws, unemployment and workers compensation notification
- DOH, OIG, DOJ, OFCCP, OSHA and DOL
- Statutory workplace training and investigation
- Employee drug testing and pre- and post-employment screenings
- Immigration and naturalization
Peckar & Abramson’s Employment Law and Practices Group understands the value of protectable interests. We offer clients a unique business best practices program that includes:
- Preparing and reviewing restrictive covenant agreements
- Preparing and reviewing employment contracts
- Counsel and advice for the protection of proprietary information
- Advice and counsel on electronically stored information
- Retaining forensic examiners and specialists entrusted to safeguard confidential and proprietary information
- Obtaining injunctions and other court ordered relief and remedies available under state, federal or common law
- Preparing pre-dispute arbitration agreements
Advice & Counseling
Peckar & Abramson’s Employment Law and Practices Group provides valuable advice and counseling to clients on a wide variety of workplace matters with the goal of avoiding litigation and finding workable solutions to complex employment problems. We work to minimize your costs without compromising the quality of our representation.
When a dispute cannot be resolved between the parties, or when ADR is unsuccessful, our litigation attorneys are experienced trial counsel and routinely appear at the national level before administrative agencies, and in state and federal court as well as appellate courts.
Alternative Dispute Resolution in Employment
In response to increasing employment litigation, companies, courts, fair employment practice agencies and insurance carriers are increasingly turning to Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) as an alternative to litigation.
ADR, when implemented appropriately, is an effective tool for both management and employees. ADR, similar to litigation, requires a careful understanding of the facts in order for counsel to evaluate all of the legal issues, make recommendations and develop comprehensive strategies to reach an amicable resolution.
Peckar & Abramson’s Employment Law and Practices Group has significant national experience in dispute resolution to resolve cases efficiently and cost effectively, without compromising the interests of the company.
Structured ADR, whether it is mediation, arbitration or a hybrid of the two — and whether court ordered, contractual or through a third party neutral — requires experienced attorneys who know how to properly evaluate a case before litigation costs take over and make early resolution prospects less likely. At Peckar & Abramson, we strive to achieve a workable solution to your employment needs, which allows you to then focus on your business.
Our Employment Law and Practices Group has successfully defended class action and other multi-plaintiff suits involving breach of contract, wrongful termination, sexual harassment, retaliation, failure to accommodate, whistleblowing, tortuous interference, age and other protected classifications under different statutes or common law principles.
Class Action and Multi-Employer Wage and Hour Litigation
Peckar & Abramson’s well-respected national wage and hour defense practice defends wage and hour class action lawsuits and investigations by the United States Department of Labor and other agencies. We also train companies in all facets of compliance audits, payroll practices and procedures as well as proper classification of employees.
Labor Management Relations
Peckar & Abramson’s Labor Law Group provides labor counseling to employers and assists management through aggressive response efforts to avoid labor disputes and promote effective employee-employer relations.
Whatever your industry, Peckar & Abramson is dedicated to meeting the legal needs of management by delivering results and excellent customer service. At Peckar & Abramson, personal attention to clients is prompt, responsive and efficient.
We represent public, private and closely held companies and partnerships, for profit and nonprofit organizations, and franchisees, from the Fortune 100 to smaller and mid-size companies in diverse industries, including:
- Healthcare (skilled nursing, independent and assisted living, CCRC’s, home health agencies and rehabilitation services)
- Financial services
- Property management
- Building services
- Hotel and Hospitality
- Power and energy
We offer a variety of services including:
- Day-to-day management counseling and advice
- Management training seminars and workshops that keep management informed about changes in the complex landscape of employment law
- Workplace investigation (sexual harassment, discrimination and retaliation
- Hiring practices
- Personnel policies and employment policies
- Employment agreements and separation packages
- Compensation and benefits
- Layoffs, terminations and disciplinary actions
- Leaves of absence and reasonable accommodations and compliance
- Reductions in force
- Implementation of best management practices and internal investigations
Peckar & Abramson has earned a national reputation as a leading employment law firm and partners with its clients to keep them informed about trends that may affect their business. As you contemplate your current and future needs, we hope that you will select Peckar & Abramson: the law firm that delivers tomorrow’s solutions today.