David J. Scriven-Young
David J. Scriven-Young is senior counsel primarily in the Environmental Law, Construction, and Commercial Litigation practices at Peckar & Abramson. He is the Environmental Practice Leader and Vice Chair of the firm’s Environmental, Energy, and Industrial Group. David’s environmental expertise includes handling Superfund cases and wrongful death, personal injury, and property damage claims arising out of underground storage tank leaks, spills of chlorinated solvents, and other chemical releases. He has represented clients before the Environmental Protection Agency and state environmental agencies in enforcement matters.
David J. Scriven-Young
Environmental Practice Leader
Vice Chair - Environmental, Energy, and Industrial Group
P +1 312.881.6300
F +1 312.435.2482
"At P&A, we understand the complex web of federal, state and local regulations that impact construction projects and regularly help our clients avoid penalties."
David has counseled clients on compliance and/or permitting issues under the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, and Toxic Substances Control Act. He has also helped clients take advantage of state and federal audit policies. In addition, he has advised clients on mergers and acquisitions concerning environmental liability and permitting issues, and conducted due diligence and prepared representations and warranties for corporate transactions.
David’s construction expertise includes prosecution and defense of mechanic’s lien actions, payment and performance bond claims, breach-of-contract actions, breach-of-warranty claims, delay and inefficiency claims, contract terminations, and other matters. He also has significant expertise defending clients against actions involving personal injuries at job sites.
David regularly speaks and publishes on environmental and construction law issues. He is the author of the Illinois Environmental Law blog, which provides news and updates on cases, laws, and regulations involving Illinois environmental issues. In 2011, the LexisNexis Environmental Law & Climate Change Community named his blog one of the “Top 50 Blogs for Environmental Law & Climate Change.”
David holds several leadership positions in bar associations and the community. He is presently a Member of the Chicago Bar Association (CBA) Board of Managers and Chair of the CBA Environmental Law Committee. He is an officer of the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (ABA YLD), serving as Assembly Speaker. He serves on the ABA Standing Committee on Technology and Information Systems. David also is a Member of the Board of Directors of the Public Interest Law Initiative (PILI).
David has been the recipient of several awards, including being named by Illinois Super Lawyers as a Super Lawyer from 2014 to 2023 and as a Rising Star from 2011 to 2013. No more than 2.5 percent of the lawyers in the state of Illinois are named to the Rising Star list. He was also selected by DePaul University to a list of 14 successful alumni under 40 years old and profiled in DePaul Magazine. David’s bar association awards include the David C. Hilliard Award for Outstanding Committee Service from the CBA Young Lawyers Section and a Star of the Quarter Award from the ABA YLD. He has been listed in Who’s Who Legal and Who’s Who Legal: American Law. David was a Fellow of the Public Interest Law Initiative (PILI) and formerly served on the PILI Alumni Network Leadership Council.
David is admitted to practice in the State of Illinois. He received his bachelor of arts, magna cum laude, from Marquette University and his law degree, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif, from DePaul University College of Law, where he was on law review and was an extern for the Honorable Blanche M. Manning, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
• State of Illinois
• United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
• United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
• United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
• American Bar Association (Young Lawyers Division (YLD) Assembly Speaker; YLD Council, member; YLD Resolutions Team, chair; YLD Elections Committee, chair; past YLD Assembly Clerk, YLD Credentials Board, past chair; YLD Committee and Liaison, past Director: Public and Special Interest Entities; YLD Truth in Law School Education Committee, past chair; YLD Touch 10,000 Program, past Illinois state coordinator and ambassador; YLD Committee and Liaison pst Director: Membership Entities; YLD past liaison to Task Force on Policy and Coordination, ABA Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources (formerly known as the ABA Standing Committee on Environmental Law); YLD Environmental Law Committee, past chair; YLD Law Practice Management Committee, past chair;
• Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section (TIPS) Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Committee, past vice chair; TIPS Public Relations Committee, past member; Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources (SEER) Environmental Litigation and Toxic Tort Committee, past social media vice chair; , Section of Litigation Young Advocates Committee Networking & Rainmaking Subcommittee , past co-chair).
• Chicago Bar Association Board of Managers, Member; Environmental Law Committee, chair and past legislative liaison; Young Lawyers Section (YLS), past director; YLS Executive Council, past member; YLS Environmental Law Committee, past co-chair).
• DePaul University (Environmental Law Society, past alumni advisor and President’s Club Recent Graduate Committee, past chair).
• Fenwick Bar Association (vice president and past secretary).
• Public Interest Law Initiative (PILI) (Board of Directors, member; Alumni Network Leadership Council, past Program Planning Team Leader; and past Fellow).
Education & Courses
• Marquette University, B.A., magna cum laude
• DePaul University College of Law J.D., summa cum laude and Order of the Coif
Awards & Recognitions
• Illinois Super Lawyers, 2014-2023
• Illinois Super Lawyers: Rising Star, 2011-2013
• Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Section, David C. Hilliard Award for Outstanding Committee Service
• American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, Star of the Quarter
• Alliance for the Great Lakes, Great Lakes Stewardship Award for Advocate of the Year
• CALI Awards for Excellence in Civil Procedure, Evidence, Legal Writing I & II, Legislative Process, and State Constitutional Law
• “14 Under 40” Successful Alumni List, DePaul Magazine
• Who’s Who Legal
• Who’s Who Legal: American Law
• Public Interest Law Initiative (PILI) Newsletter, profiled
• DePaul Law Review
• United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, The Honorable Blanche M. Manning, law clerk externship
Publications & Presentations
• Illinois Environmental Law Blog
• “YAC Hosts Free Rainmaking Teleconference for Section Members,” American Bar Association Section of Litigation Young Advocates Committee Newsletter.
• “New Environmental Laws Will Impact Manufacturers in 2012,” The Illinois Manufacturer, Winter 2012.
• “Electronics Manufacturers: Are You Ready for New Recycling and Reuse Requirements,” llinois Manufacturers’ Association’s Sustainable Memo Newsletter.
• “What Is the EPA and How Does it Function?,” American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division for Environment, Energy & Resources Law 101 Program.
• “Seventh Circuit Allows CERCLA § 107(a) Claim for Contribution by Potentially Responsible Party,” American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division’s Environment Energy & Resources Law Committee Newsletter.
• “Illinois Insurance Coverage Case Law Update,” American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy, and Resource’s Environmental Litigation and Toxic Tort Committee Newsletter.
• “What to Do When You Make a Mistake,” The Young Lawyer.
• “United States v. Apex Oil Co., Inc.: State of the Law Regarding Discharge of Environmental Injunctions,” America Bar Association Business Law Section, Environmental, Energy and Natural Resources Law Committee (co-author).
• “Managing Environmental Claims in Bankruptcy,” Environmental Law In Illinois, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (co-author).
• “Environment, Energy, and Resources Law: 2009 The Year in Review,” American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources (contributing author).
• State Warnings Liability Survey, American Bar Association Section of Litigation Products Liability Committee (contributing author).
• “Business Development in the Digital Age: Social Media, Networking, and Thought Leadership for the Modern Lawyer,” 2022 ABA Litigation Section Annual Conference.
• “Legislative Update,” Chicago Bar Association Environmental Law and Practice Seminar.
• “Environmental Law Update,” Public Interest Law Initiative, Summer Educational Program for PILI Interns and Fellows.
• “How Businesses Can Take Advantage of U.S. EPA’s Audit Policy,” Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Section, Environmental Law Committee.
• “Environmental Issues in Land Development,” Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Section, Environmental Law Committee.
• “What Should Manufacturers Do When Receiving a Notice of Violation from EPA?,” Linked Local Network’s Manufacturing Tools Group.
• “Greenhouse Gas Regulations: Advising Clients in an Uncertain Legal Environment,” Chicago Bar Association, “Hot Topics in Environmental Law” Program.
• “Careers in Environmental Law: Finding Your Path in a Dynamic Field,” DePaul University College of Law (panelist).
• “Best (and Worst) Practices During Discovery, Settlement, and Pre-Trial,” A New Lawyer’s Guide on How to Practice in Federal Court, American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division and the Asian American Bar Association of Greater Chicago, December 11, 2011 (panel moderator).
• “Energy Efficiency – the “Low Hanging Fruit” in the Carbon Reduction Debate,” Navigating the New Green Economy: The Challenge of Climate Change and The Opportunities for Clean Energy, American Bar Association Standing Committee on Environmental Law International Conference in London, UK,, May 23-24 2011 (panel moderator).
• “Careers in Environmental Law,” Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Section, Environmental Law Committee, 2010 (panel moderator).
• “Marketing in the First Five Years of Your Practice,” American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, Spring Conference (panel moderator).
News & Events
• 2022 ABA Litigation Section Annual Conference – Business Development in the Digital Age: Social Media, Networking, and Thought Leadership for the Modern Lawyer
• Super Lawyers® Names 17 Peckar & Abramson Attorneys to Their 2022 Illinois, New Jersey, Southern California, and Texas Lists
• IICLE: Environmental Law Institute
• Super Lawyers® Names 19 Peckar & Abramson Attorneys to Their 2021 Illinois, New Jersey, Southern California, and Texas Lists