William (Tom) Thompson, Jr.
William (Tom) Thompson has specialized in government contract law and construction litigation for more than 40 years. Tom has represented a broad range of Government contractors (major defense contractors, information technology and systems integration contractors, construction contractors, etc.).
William (Tom) Thompson, Jr.
P +1 202.293.8815
F +1 202.293.7994
"Our depth of involvement in the construction industry enables us to provide our clients with a unique perspective and level of service."
His clients have ranged from multibillion-dollar contractors to start-up companies. This representation has included advice on federal cost principles and cost accounting requirements, and compliance with federal and state fraud, waste, and abuse laws and regulations.
Tom has extensive experience in preparing, negotiating, mediating, and, if necessary, litigating contract disputes in arbitrations, state and federal courts and administrative boards, including the United States Court of Federal Claims, Government Accountability Office, the Boards of Contract Appeals, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He has experience with the prosecution and defense of claims arising from contracts with the entire range of federal agencies, as well as with state and local governmental agencies. Since 2005, Tom has successfully handled bid protests totaling more than $15 billion.
As government oversight of government contractors has intensified in the search for fraud, waste and abuse, Tom’s ethics and compliance practice has grown. This has included prophylactic advice on internal corporate controls, assistance in constructing and implementing compliance programs, internal investigations of potential ethics violations, and representation of clients in investigations, audits and litigations. He has investigated and advised clients on compliance with the entire range of federal ethics laws, including the False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback Act, Procurement Integrity Act, Mail and Wire Fraud statutes, and Bribery and Gratuities statutes, as well as potential violations of federal elections laws and the Sarbanes-Oxley statute.
• District of Columbia
• Commonwealth of Virginia
• United States Supreme Court
• United States Court of Federal Claims
• United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
• United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
• United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
• United States District Court for the District of Columbia
• United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
• American Bar Association (Public Contracts Section Procurement Fraud Committee)
Education & Courses
• Yale University, B.A.
• George Washington University, J.D., with honors
Awards & Recognitions
• Washington DC Super Lawyer in Government Contracts, 2013 - 2015, 2018
• Chambers USA for Government Contracts (nationwide)
• Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
• The Legal 500: United States
• Best Lawyers, 2015 - 2022
Publications & Presentations
• “Corporate Compliance and Ethics Programs,” False Claims in Construction Contracts, American Bar Association, October 2007.
• Articles on corporate ethics and compliance in numerous legal and industry publications.
News & Events
• Peckar & Abramson Has Largest Number of Construction Lawyers Recognized by Best Lawyers®
• 56 ATTORNEYS WITH NATIONAL CONSTRUCTION LAW FIRM PECKAR & ABRAMSON, P.C. RECOGNIZED BY BEST LAWYERS®
• 37 Attorneys with National Construction Law Firm Peckar & Abramson, P.C. Named 2020 Best Lawyers in America®
• Thirty-Four Attorneys Across the Firm have been Named 2019 Best Lawyers In America®