Nick R. Hoogstraten
Nick R. Hoogstraten serves as senior counsel for the construction and government contracts practices in the firm’s Washington, D.C., office. His practice focuses on all aspects of construction and government contracts litigation and counseling.
Nick R. Hoogstraten
P +1 202.293.8815
F +1 202.293.7994
"In today’s highly competitive government contract environment, it is essential for contractors to take advantage of experienced advisors to help them pursue and obtain contracts and achieve profitable performance."
He has represented contractors before state and federal courts and boards of contract appeals, as well as in administrative and alternative dispute resolution proceedings. Matters he frequently handles include bid protests, contract claims and requests for equitable adjustments, breaches of contract, delays and disruptions, mechanics’ liens, bond claims, performance defects, terminations for default, and small and disadvantaged business issues. He also has extensive experience with Federal and State construction stormwater permitting requirements across the nation.
Nick is admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, the District of Columbia, the United States District Courts of Maryland and the District of Columbia, and the United States Court of Federal Claims. He received his bachelor of arts degree from the University of Kansas and his law degree from Georgetown University Law Center.
Nick is a member of the American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry and Section of Public Contract Law.
Nick is a contributing author to the State-by-State Guide to Design and Construction Contracts and Claims, the State-by-State Guide to Architect, Engineer, and Contractor Licensing, and Peckar & Abramson’s Environmental Law Blog.
• State of Maryland
• District of Columbia
• United States District Court for the District of Maryland
• United States District Court for the District of Columbia
• United States Court of Federal Claims
Education & Courses
• University of Kansas, B.A., with distinction
• Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
Awards & Recognitions
• Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent Rated
• Phi Beta Kappa
Publications & Presentations
• Environmental Law Blog, Peckar & Abramson, 2019-present (contributing author).
• “COVID-19 and Construction Stormwater Discharge Permits,” Law360 Expert Analysis, April 3, 2020 (author).
• “A Hard Rain Is Gonna Fall: Construction Stormwater Permitting under the Clean Water Act in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia,” The Washington Building Congress Bulletin, 2015 (author).
• State-by-State Guide to Design and Construction Contracts and Claims, second edition, Aspen Publishers, 2012 (contributing author).
• State-by-State Guide to Architect, Engineer, and Contractor Licensing, second edition, Aspen Publishers, 2012 (contributing author).