Gregory H. Chertoff
Gregory H. Chertoff is co-managing partner of Peckar & Abramson’s New York office and serves on the firm’s Executive Committee. He specializes in construction law, regularly counseling general contractors, construction managers, engineering procurement and construction (EPC) contractors and owners on contract negotiations, risk management and disputes.
Gregory H. Chertoff
Co-Managing Partner, New York Office
New York, NY
P +1 212.382.0909
F +1 212.382.3456
"Through negotiation, mediation and the various alternative dispute resolution vehicles at our disposal, we help our clients identify and navigate the most efficient paths to success."
Greg’s practice emphasizes resolving complex construction disputes through negotiation, mediation, and, when necessary, arbitration and litigation, on projects in New York, nationwide and internationally. He frequently addresses claims involving breach of contract, construction and design defects, liens, delays and impacts, bonds and insurance issues (including among others, general liability, builder’s risk, professional liability and subcontractor default insurance), and represents many of the nation’s largest contractors in building and power plant construction projects. He has litigated power plant cases in federal court and was engaged by an EPC contractor to act as “project counsel” on a 350 mw power plant located in Long Island, New York.
A substantial portion of Greg’s practice is devoted to troubleshooting difficult projects for clients before they devolve into full-blown disputes, seeking business solutions to his clients’ business problems. When necessary, however, he brings to bear extensive experience in representing clients before the courts of numerous states (often being admitted pro hac vice), federal courts, mediators, arbitration panels and appellate courts.
He is formerly the secretary of the Construction Law Committee of the New York Bar Association and lectures on the New York Mechanic’s Lien Law and construction risk management to lawyers and construction industry professionals. In light of his accomplishments, Greg has been recognized by Chambers USA in Construction Law, New York Super Lawyers-Metro in Construction Litigation and among the Best Lawyers. Greg was recently named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for construction law in New York City for 2022.
Greg is admitted to practice in the State of New York, the State of New Jersey and the United States District Courts for the Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York, as well as the District of New Jersey. He received his Bachelor of Arts from the University of Michigan and his law degree from Hofstra University School of Law.
• State of New York
• State of New Jersey
• United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
• United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
• United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
• United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
• American Bar Association
• Association of the Bar of the City of New York
• Building Trades Employers Association
• New York State Bar Association
• New York County Lawyers Association
• New York Building Congress, Construction Law Committee
• New York Construction Alliance
Education & Courses
• University of Michigan, B.A.
• Hofstra University School of Law, J.D.
Awards & Recognitions
• Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” for Construction Law, New York City, 2022
• Best Lawyers, 2012 - 2023
• The Legal 500: United States, “Recommended Lawyer,” 2022
• Turner Construction Company, Lawyer of the Year, 2010
• Chambers USA, Construction Law, 2021, 2023
• ALM & Martindale-Hubbell "New York Top-Rated Lawyers", 2019 - 2020
• New York-Metro Super Lawyers, Construction Litigation, 2009 - 2022
Publications & Presentations
• “Legally Protected Companies: Did You Really Understand the Contract You Signed?” Holt Construction‘s “Holt Opportunity Fridays”, March 2022 (Speaker)
• “The Changing Landscape of SDI Claims and Coverage,” AGC of America‘s Surety Bonding and Construction Risk Management Conference, June 2021 (Panelist)
• “Mold—It’s Still Growing! Understanding, Preventing and Responding to Mold in Construction and Renovation,” Construction Executive, June 2021 (Co-Author)
• “Managing Subcontractor Default Risks During COVID-19: Part 4,” P&A Joint Webinar with FMI Coproration, Liberty Mutual Surety, Bespoke Metrics, and BMO Harris Bank, September 2020 (Panelist)
• “MTA Implements Revised Contractors Debarment Regulations,” P&A Client Alert, June 2020
• “COVID-19 Construction Update: Claims and Related Coverage Issues,” P&A Webinar, May 2020 (Presenter)
• “Managing Subcontractor Default Risks During COVID-19: Part 2,” P&A Joint Webinar with FMI Corporation, Markel, and Hudson Insurance Group, April 2020 (Panelist)
• “How to Manage and Mitigate Subcontractor Default Risks During the COVID-19 Crisis,” P&A Joint Webinar with FMI Corporation and Cove Programs, April 2020 (Panelist)
• “MTA Debarment Update,” P&A Client Alert, November 2019
• “MTA’s New Debarment Powers Pose an Existential Risk,” P&A Client Alert, June 2019 (Co-Author)
• “Construction Tech Happy Hour,” Seminar, May 2019 (Speaker)
• “Success in International Construction Disputes: Strategies During the Life Cycle,” X CAI Costa Rica, February 2019 (Panelist)
• “Legal Definitions and Practical Effects on Design Delegation,” AGC 2019 Conference on Surety Bonding and Construction Risk Management, January 2019 (Panelist)
• “Winning The Subcontractor Fight,” P&A Breakfast Club, February 2018 (Speaker)
• New York State Bar Association Managing Partners Conference Series, April 2017 (Speaker)
• “How ESI Management Helps General Contractors Manage Litigation – Efficiently and Cost-Effectively” 2016 Construction SuperConference, December 2016 (Moderator)
• “Managing and Mitigating Risk and Impact of Subcontractor Defaults: Subcontractor Default Insurance and Performance Bonds,” P&A Peer Conference, January 2015 (Speaker)
• “Identifying, Avoiding, Mitigating, and Insuring Environmental Risk in Construction,” June 2015 (Panelist)
• 2015 CDI Peer Group Conference, April 2015 (Co-Host)
• “Significant New Construction Opportunities,” BTEA Panel Discussion, July 2014 (Moderator)
• “Reducing ESI Costs: Strategic Advice for Construction Litigation,” CRMA Building Profits, September/October 2013 (Co-Author)
News & Events
• Chambers USA Names Peckar & Abramson to Band 1 Level in Construction Law; 28 P&A Lawyers Recognized as Leading Attorneys; Six Regions and Government Contracts Practice Recognized
• Peckar & Abramson Announces New Executive Committee Members
• 2023 AGC Surety Bonding and Construction Risk Management Conference – “The Cutting Edge – Strategically Managing ESI Risks, Costs and Burdens”
• Super Lawyers® Names 18 Peckar & Abramson Attorneys to 2022 New York List; Paul Monte Selected to Top 100 List