K. Stefan Chin
K. Stefan Chin is a partner in the Construction Law practice at Peckar & Abramson. He focuses on construction and other commercial litigation including the representation of contractors, owners, other construction professionals, and sureties in litigation, arbitration, mediation, and dispute resolution board proceedings for construction and design-defect claims, contract claims, construction lien claims, delay and impact claims, bond claims, insurance claims, and related matters.
K. Stefan Chin
P +1 305.358.2600
F +1 305.375.0328
“Many of the attorneys at P&A have hands-on, practical experience in the construction industry and can therefore offer clients highly informed, workable legal advice.”
Stefan’s experience includes low-rise, mid-rise, and high-rise residential and commercial projects in the U.S. and overseas, as well as large-scale transportation infrastructure and energy-related projects in the U.S.
Stefan’s construction practice also includes the negotiation and preparation of construction documents and project administration assistance during construction for the early identification and resolution of conflicts and disputes. He has represented clients in litigation, arbitration, mediation, and dispute resolution board proceedings involving reinforced and post-tension concrete construction, drywall assemblies, stucco, glass and glazing systems, fire sprinkler systems, sign structures, mechanically stabilized earth wall and barrier wall systems, and other building and roadway systems and components. In 2021, Stefan completed FIDIC Certified Course Module 2: Claims and Disputes Resolution.
Stefan received his bachelor of architecture, with honors, from the University of Miami in 2000 and his law degree from Emory University School of Law in 2008. He is a National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) certified Florida registered architect and, prior to law school, worked with one of Miami’s largest architectural firms. While in law school, Stefan served as Assistant Director of the Emory Mock Trial Society and represented Emory in national trial advocacy competitions. While a law student, he also served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Brenda H. Cole at the State Court of Fulton County, Georgia.
Stefan teaches a course on legal issues in construction for the Masters of Construction Management Program at the University of Miami’s School of Architecture. He is admitted to practice law in the State of Florida and the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. Stefan is a member of the American Bar Association, Florida Bar Association, and Dade County Bar Association.
• State of Florida
• United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
• United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
• American Bar Association (Forum on the Construction Industry)
• Florida Bar Association (Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section)
• Dade County Bar Association
• National Council of Architectural Registration Boards
• Florida Registered Architect
• Associated General Contractors of America
• Associated Builders and Contractors
• Contractors Association of South Florida
• Florida Transportation Builders Association
Education & Courses
• University of Miami, B.A. with honors
• Emory University School of Law, J.D
• FIDIC Module 2: Claims and Disputes Resolution
Awards & Recognitions
• Florida Bar Board Certified Construction Law Specialist
• South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyer
• Florida Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2017-2018
Publications & Presentations
• “Ethics,” Florida Bar Certification Review Course (CRC), February 2023.
• “Ethics,” Florida Bar Certification Review Course (CRC), March 2022.
• “Advanced Construction Law and Certification Review 2020” and “Construction Law Institute 2020,” The Florida Bar Continuing Legal Education Committee and the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, March 2020.
• 2019 Construction Law Certification Review Course, March 2019.
• "Getting to Substantial Completion", Peckar & Abramson's Rising Star Educational Program, November 2018
• "Are You Storm Ready?", Peckar & Abramson's Rising Star Educational Program, June 2018
• "Document Control", Peckar & Abramson's Rising Star Educational Program, November 2017
• "How Midsize Law Firms Can Minimize Cybersecurity Threats", Law360 - July 21, 2017
• "The Construction Payment Process", Peckar & Abramson's Rising Star Educational Program, June 2017
• "A New Year’s Resolution for Your Construction Business: Practical Guidelines for Mitigating the Risks of a Cyberattack", Construction ink! – March 2017
• "Cyberattacks can cripple the construction Industry", The Miami Herald, May 2016
• "Contracting with Owners to Avoid Disputes and Increase Profitability", South Florida Associated General Contractors, May 2016
• "Contractors and Builders Take Note: 2015 Amendments to Chapter 558, Florida Statutes – Florida's "Notice and Opportunity to Cure" Statute," South Florida Associated General Contractors Newswire, July 23, 2015
• "New Amendments to Chapter 558, Florida's "Notice and Opportunity to Cure" Statute," Construction Today Blog, July 22, 2015
• "Notable Pending Legislation: Proposed Amendments to Chapter 558, Florida Statutes", presentation to Florida Structural Engineers Association, May 2015.
• "Chapter 558, Florida Statutes: A 360 Degree Review", South Florida Associated General Contractors (Young Contractors Forum) seminar, March 2015
• "Contractors Support Bill on Construction Defect Notice” Daily Business Review, Opinion & Commentary Section, February 2015
• "Appellate Court Supports Builders and General Contractors In Case Involving Developer Foreclosing on Himself to Avoid Payment," South Florida Associated General Contractors Newswire, October 20, 2014
• "Advising Clients of Arbitration Awards and Vacatur of an Award,” American Bar Association Construction Litigation, Spring 2014, Vol. 23, No. 2.
News & Events
• Advanced Construction Law Certification Review – “Ethics”
• Florida Bar Construction Law Certification Review: Ethics
• 2021 South Florida Legal Guide Honors Peckar & Abramson as a Top Law Firm and Recognizes Nine Miami Attorneys
• Advanced Construction Law and Certification Review 2020 & Construction Law Institute 2020