Publications & Presentations
Frank M. Rapoport is a senior partner with the construction law firm of Peckar & Abramson, P.C., where he leads the firm's P3 practice. He has negotiated and closed 18 P3 deals in the U.S. privatized military housing market. Frank is also presently advising teams pursuing Miami Water, Corps Engineer P3s and multi-state roads, bridges and storm water P3s with state DOTs.
Mr. Rapoport concentrates his practice on construction, government contracts, infrastructure development and public-private partnerships (P3s). He represents project sponsors, equity investors, lenders and contractors in connection with transportation, social infrastructure, energy, water and parking projects in the United States. He has also advised governmental entities on how to develop procurements leading to P3 infrastructure.
Mr. Rapoport is highly regarded for strategizing and implementing successful business-capture plans for clients pursuing P3, design-build and complex infrastructure projects. He combines a deep understanding of the legal and political framework for P3s with the experience of having handled big-ticket government contracts and construction litigation. His knowledge and respect for the political issues in P3 deals have led to successful collaborations with key government officials. In advising teams, Frank concentrates on developing the necessary government affairs solutions.
Frank M. Rapoport serves as the Chief Strategy Advisor for the Association for the Improvement of American Infrastructure (AIAI), the P3 industry’s advocacy nonprofit corporation (www.aiai-infra.org). In that role, he advises AIAI's Board with respect to states and municipalities in which there exist opportunities to advance P3 solutions to governors, mayors and county officials. Additionally, Frank is tasked with selecting and hiring local government affairs professionals.
Frank is also a co-founder of The P3 Institute, which brings together local government officials and the private sector to discuss possible P3 projects across all asset classes. In 2015, Frank joined with the Mayor of Miami-Dade County, Florida to present a two-day program before 400 attendees.
He has chaired regional and national infrastructure summits across the United States, and developed P3 programs for the following: National Governors Association, Urban Land Institute, New Jersey Alliance for Action, and VAIR Training. Mr. Rapoport has published articles and op-eds nationwide on the benefits of P3s and is quoted regularly by The Wall Street Journal and other esteemed publications. He has testified before the U.S. House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, as well as state legislatures in Pennsylvania and Colorado. He is active in promoting P3 legislation in Pennsylvania, Florida, California, New York, New Jersey and other emerging markets. Frank is respected by leading government officials pursuing P3s, and he uses his knowledge of the politics in P3s to guide his clients.
Mr. Rapoport began his career serving as a trial attorney in the Civil Division of the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. Concentrating his practice in the area of federal government contracts and litigation, he litigated contract disputes and false claim matters before the U.S. Court of Claims, the Armed Services Boards of Contract Appeals, the Federal District Courts and the U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeals. He personally briefed and argued over 20 cases at the appellate level. He also received recognition from the Attorney General for this legal work on behalf of the Department of Defense, NASA, Commerce, FBI, DEA, SBA, GSA, SEC, USIA, and the Office of the President.
He works in the firm’s New York, Pennsylvania and Washington D.C. offices.
• Counsel and Co-Project Manager for the proposed East River Skyway project linking Brooklyn to Manhattan via high-speed aerial gondola.
• Represented a real estate developer bidding on the Department of Defense Military Housing Privatization Initiative. Supported project capture efforts by strategizing all legal and government affairs endeavors and oversaw legal work necessary to close more than 18 deals valued at over $3 billion.
• Represented a consortium bidding in connection with the New York New Jersey Port Authority’s Goethals Bridge replacement project.
• Represented a design firm teamed to bid for the Tappan Zee Bridge replacement project.
• Advised numerous large construction companies on how to engage with private equity for teaming on P3 projects.
• Advised gubernatorial and legislative officials exploring P3 legislation in Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, California, as well as several other states.
• Advised a joint venture bidding for the design, engineering, construction and financing of the proposed High Desert Corridor toll road (north of Los Angeles).
• Represented a consortium interested in bidding for the proposed Yonkers school P3 program..
• Represented private equity sponsor in joining with national parking operator to pursue P3 projects with cities and universities.
• Represented a corporation in its P3 with NASA to film explorations in outer space.